Do you stay agitated without a reason?
Do you suffer from sudden spells of dizziness?
Have you been suffering from frequent headaches and over sweating?
If your answer to these questions is yes, this might be a wake up call for you, when did you check your blood pressure?
All these symptoms point to high blood pressure also called as hypertension in medical terms.
High blood pressure can occur at any age and the most horrifying thing about it is that it comes without a warning.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), one out of every three Indians suffers from high blood pressure which is a very high number and it is constantly increasing.
In my five years of experience I have come across many cases of hypertension. You’ll be surprised to know that a large percentage of these patients were of very docile and gentle nature and yet they were suffering from high blood pressure.
There is a general misconception that one can avoid high blood pressure by staying calm and relaxed, but it is not so. We’ll have to first understand that high blood pressure is a physiological problem not a psychological one.
High Blood pressure is generally cause due to unhealthy life style and improper diet. There are few ingredients in many packaged food items which can boost the chances of high blood pressure. Hence we should, maintain a healthy lifestyle and also start reading the content label before buying packaged food.
This article will put a light on what is blood pressure and what are the causes and symptoms of high blood pressure.
What Is High Blood Pressure?
- The role of the heart is to pump blood into the arteries which is later carried to all the parts of the body.
- Blood pressure is the measure of the force that pumps the blood and helps it to push against the blood vessel wall.
- High blood pressure can be very risky for your heart as it can lead to hardening of the arteries which, in turn, can lead to arteriosclerosis.
Before we go towards the symptoms and causes, take a look at the blood pressure range. When reading blood pressure values, the upper reading is called as systolic and the lower reading is known as diastolic.
|Stage 1 high blood pressure||140/90 to 150/90|
|Stage 2 high blood pressure||160/100|
Common High Blood Pressure Causes
The Following are the main reasons for high blood pressure occurrence in the mid age population:
- High salt intake
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Hormonal problems
- Thyroid problems
- Old age
To counter high blood pressure, you’ll have to first know its symptoms.
Only about 10% of the population who are affected by high blood pressure are lucky enough to be aware of the symptoms of high blood pressure, while the other 90% have no clue that they are suffering from hypertension.
You should get your blood pressure checked every month so that you can address the problem right in its inception.
High Blood Pressure- Symptoms:
Symptoms of high blood pressure can be very difficult to notice. Mostly the symptoms are misinterpreted for minor problems like stress and anxiety. The following are some of the symptoms of high blood pressure:
- Persistent and recurring headaches
- Tired and confused state
- Palpitating chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Blood in urine
- Mild pounding sensation in your chest, neck, and ears
- Blurred vision
These symptoms should not be taken lightly, if you have any of the above symptoms you should go for a blood pressure check-up. Though, the symptoms are mild, if it is ignored, high blood pressure can lead to cardiac arrest or some coronary disorder.
Now that we know how to identify high blood pressure, let’s put a glance on some effective methods to reduce High blood pressure. The following good habits are of key importance in reducing high blood pressure without resorting to high dosage of medicine for high blood pressure:
Reduce Blood Pressure Naturally And Effectively
- Walk for at least 45 minutes every day.
- Do deep-breathing exercises for at least 15 minutes.
- Take multivitamin supplements containing soya isoflavones.
- Eat potassium-rich foods like potatoes, coconut water, broccoli, and spinach.
- Eat a piece of dark chocolate to satiate your sweet craving.
- Loose extra kilos and try to achieve the ideal body weight.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water per day.
- Sleep on your left hand side which will help protect your heart and also help you control your snoring.
- Calm yourself by listening to soft music.
- Dietary supplements containing Coq10 can be taken to reduce blood pressure.
- Reduce your salt intake to 5 gm per day.
Good habit and good diet are very important to curb High blood pressure. With a disciplined life, it’s easy to control the blood pressure. The following is the recommended food for high blood pressure:
Best Diet In High Blood Pressure
1 clove of garlic
1 cup of milk + 1 cup oats + 4 almonds
1 glass coconut water + 1 banana
1 bowl of raw vegetable salad + 2 chapattis + 1 cup rice + 1 cup vegetable (spinach, broccoli and soybeans) + 1 cup curd
Afternoon (2 hrs post lunch)
1 cup green tea + 4 walnuts
Baked potato and beans pasta + 1 piece dark chocolate
1 jowar roti + 1 cup vegetable + 1 cup raita + 1 cup soya chunks
1 cup soy milk
With the above, easy to follow diet, high blood pressure can be reduced substantially. Other than the diet, you should also take the following precautions:
- Salt intake should not exceed more than 5 gram per day
- Oil should be 15 gram per day which is equal to 3 tsp per day
- Ghee should be 5 gram per day which is equal to 1 tsp per day
- Sugar should not exceed 20 gram per day
Please remember that a controlled blood pressure is a sign of a healthy lifestyle. Increase or decrease in blood pressure is a gateway for a lot of complications.
Please don’t forget to share your queries and suggestions. I’ll be happy to help you understand it more. Do share this article with all your loved ones so that they can take steps towards a health ever after.