Receiving adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals is important for optimal health and avoiding chronic disease states.
These nutrients execute thousands of roles in the body, from building muscle, bone and skin, enhancing your immune system and changing food into energy.
Unlike other vitamins and minerals, most of the calcium and vitamin D3 tablets you need are very frequently used in our day to day life.
For further information about calcium vitamin d3 read on…..
What are the different types of Calcium With Vitamin D3 Tablets available in Market?
The calcium supplement can be of different synthetic sources as below:
- Calcium carbonate
- Calcium citrate and
- Calcium Pantothenate
Above are the three primary synthetic sources of dietary calcium supplements
1. Calcium Carbonate
The characterization of calcium carbonate obtained from oyster and mussel shells and incorporation in polypropylene. Antacid products like Rolaids and Tums include calcium carbonate and supply about 200-400 mg of calcium.
Calcium carbonate depends on stomach acid for assimilation, it is assimilated best when consumed with some food.
In many natural calcium supplements majorly preferred is calcium carbonate because while comparing to other synthetic sources calcium carbonate is more effective and has fewer side effects.
- Generally, the absorption of this type of calcium carbonate depends on the pH level in your stomach.
- Your body persistently breaks down and rebuilds itself requiring a regular consumption of minerals such as calcium. This includes your bones and also teeth which contain most of the calcium in your body.
- Calcium carbonate may play a role in preventing cancer of the colon and rectum.
- It helps to reduce non-malignant tumours in your colon.
- It also lowers blood pressure levels.
- Calcium carbonate can help restore optimal calcium levels and prevent future deficiencies.
- Calcium Citrate supplements can be taken on an empty stomach and are more readily absorbed by people who take acid-reducing heartburn medications. It is recommended from a famous study that taking calcium carbonate regularly may enhance your overall health.
- You require to consume Calcium with vitamin d3 tablets with your regular food because it’s easier for your body to assimilate that way. You can consume calcium citrate on an empty stomach or with food. To maximise your consumption of calcium, take no more than 500 mg at the same time. You might take one 500 mg supplement in the morning and another at night.
2. Calcium Citrate
This is a more extreme form of the supplement. It is occupied well on an empty or full stomach. People with low levels of stomach acid (a condition that is more common in people over the age of 50) absorb calcium citrate more easily than calcium carbonate.
- Calcium citrate is also the best choice for elderly people who may provide less stomach acid or for those who consume acid-blocking medications for heartburn since it’s more simply absorbed with low levels of stomach acid compared to other types of calcium supplements.
- It can easily prevent bone disorders.
- Calcium citrate is an example of compounds that are included in dietary supplements with citrate.
- Calcium citrate is well engaged on an empty stomach and does not constipate. … On the positive side, calcium citrate is less dependent on stomach acid for absorption. Older people often have decreased stomach acid so that the citrate form may be a better choice than Calcium Carbonate.
- You require to take calcium carbonate with food because it’s simpler for your body to absorb that way. You can take calcium citrate on an empty stomach or with food. An overdosage may also cause nausea or vomiting; decreased appetite; constipation; dry mouth or increased thirst; or. Increased urination.
- More isn’t always better: Too much calcium citrate has risks.
- Calcium carbonate is generally safe while comparing to other sources.
3. Calcium Pantothenate
Calcium pantothenate is a calcium salt of the dextrorotatory isomer of the B vitamin pantothenic acid; commonly used as a nutritional supplement. It is also available as racemic calcium pantothenate, which is a combination of the dextrorotatory and levorotatory isomeric forms.
- If you would like your mind to be sharper, form memories better, and also recall information, calcium pantothenate may aid you. This is mainly because pantothenic acid is utilised to synthesise coenzyme A (CoA). CoA aids to produce acetylcholine, which performs as a neurotransmitter, may help your brain and neurological systems perform a little faster.
- On that same note, taking calcium pantothenate may help to reduce brain fog or feelings of forgetfulness and confusion. A general lack of focus usually accompanies it. People want to possess a clear mind, but when brain fog sets in, it’s hard to focus on specific tasks, and as an outcome, very little gets done.
- Having a pantothenate deficiency may lead to acne, partly because a lack causes oil glands in the face to become more active. However, for teenagers and adults that take calcium pantothenate, it may aid to clear up their skin and avoid bacteria from getting trapped in the skin pores, keeping the skin healthy and vibrant.
- Calcium pantothenate is the calcium salt of the water-soluble vitamin B5, ubiquitously initiated in plants and animal tissues with the antioxidant property. … It is a growth factor and is essential for various metabolic functions, including the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fatty acids.
- It is vital to living a healthy life. “Pantothenic,” in fact, means “from everywhere,” because it is available in so many food sources.
- Calcium pantothenate helps maintain a healthy digestive system and assists the body in using other vitamins also helps in rheumatoid arthritis.
- With any mineral or nutrient, it’s essential to get the right amount. Too much calcium pantothenate can have adverse side effects. Symptoms such as constipation, gas, and bloating may indicate that you’re getting too much calcium pantothenate. The extra amount may also increase your risk of kidney stones.
What Is Synthetic Vitamin D3 Made From? (Synthetic sources)
Vitamin D3 is otherwise called as cholecalciferol it is formed naturally in the skin when exposed to sunlight.
Vitamin D3’s main synthetic sources are fish oil which comes from the skin layer of fatty fish such as salmon or tuna, which naturally consist vitamin D3, lanolin is a waxy substance secreted by glands developed in a sheep’s skin.
Vitamin D3 from either source is the same form of vitamin D3 discovered in our bodies and, as a supplement, is the best choice to be absorbed.
What Is The Toxicity For Both Calcium And Vitamin D3?
Generally, average dosage of calcium in a day is 400mg, and somewhat it may exceed. If it is consumed above 1000 mg per day leads to toxicity. The toxicity level of calcium is generally known as Hypercalcemia.
What Is Hypercalcemia?
The condition of Hypercalcemia is nothing but having the too high concentration of calcium in your blood level. As you all know that calcium is important for the normal function of organs, cells, muscles, and nerves. It also plays a prominent role in blood clotting and then bone health.
However, too much consumption of it can cause a lot of issues.
Everyone should know that extremely high levels of calcium can be life-threatening.
Below are the few signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia range from nonexistent to severe. For each individual treatment depends on the cause of hypercalcemia.
You may not face any signs or symptoms if your hypercalcemia is very light. So, generally, only more extreme cases gives signs and symptoms which are linked to the parts of your body influenced by the high calcium levels in your blood levels.
- Kidneys. A large amount of calcium levels in your blood means your kidneys have to work stronger to filter it. This can cause more thirst and urination frequently.
- Digestive system. Hypercalcemia state which can also cause few digestive symptoms like stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and also frequent constipation.
- Bones and muscles. For some people, the excess calcium in your blood was leached from your bones, which weakens them. This can lead to bone pain, muscle weakness and also depression.
- Brain. Hypercalcemia can inhibit the way your brain manages, resulting in confusion, lethargy and fatigue. It can also lead to severe depression.
- Heart. Rarely, critical hypercalcemia can interfere with your heart function, causing palpitations and fainting, signs of cardiac arrhythmia, and other cardiac problems.
Hypercalcemia Is Caused By:
Overactive parathyroid glands. This cause is one of the most common of hypercalcemia, overactive parathyroid glands (hyperparathyroidism) can stem from a small, noncancerous (benign) a tumour or enhancement of one or more of the 4 parathyroid glands.
- Cancer- In all cancers, lung cancer and breast cancer, as well as some types of cancers in the blood, can improve your risk of hypercalcemia condition. Escalation of cancer (metastasis) to your bones also increases your risk.
- Other diseases-Particular diseases, such as tuberculosis and sarcoidosis, can increase the blood levels of vitamin D, which encourages your digestive tract to assimilate more calcium.
- Hereditary factors- This is known as a rare genetic disorder which is called as familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia causes an enhancement of calcium in your blood because of faulty calcium receptors in your body.
- Immobility- For an individual who has a condition that causes them to spend a lot of their valuable time sitting or lying down can grow the hypercalcemia. Over time, bones that don’t bear weight deliver calcium into the blood.
- Critical dehydration- An usual cause of mild or transient hypercalcemia is dehydration. Having less amount of fluid in your blood causes a rise in calcium concentrations.
- Medications. few particular drugs — such as lithium, which is used to treat bipolar disorder — might increase the release of parathyroid hormone.
- Supplements- Taking an excessive amount of calcium over time can improve calcium levels in your blood above normal which can lead to several disorders.
Toxicity Of Vitamin D3
An average dosage of calcium in a day is 400 IU, if it is exceeded above that it leads to few side effects and it is unsafe in the long run.
Here you have to know something about vitamin D3 toxicity, it is also called hypervitaminosis D, this is not a common but potentially serious condition that happens when you have large amounts of vitamin D3 into your body.
- You have to know that vitamin D3 toxicity is generally caused by the large dosage of vitamin d3 and calcium supplements — not by your regular diet or by sun exposure.
- That’s because your body manages the amount of vitamin D3 produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don’t contain high amounts of vitamin D3.
- An excess of vitamin D3 causes abnormally large blood concentrations of calcium, which can cause over-calcification of the bones, soft tissues, heart and kidneys. In addition, hypertension can result.
Symptoms Of Vitamin D3 Toxicity May Include The Following:
- Decreased appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Metastatic calcification of the soft tissues.
Consuming 60,000 international units (IU) in a day of vitamin D for a large number of months has been shown to cause this toxicity.
This level is many times larger than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D in a day, but one should remember that these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame.
Blood levels should be observed while someone is consuming high doses of vitamin D.
As always, consult your doctor before consuming vitamin and mineral supplements.
After reading this blog, I hope you all got to know how essential is calcium to our body system and if not taken care we can end up with so many disorders and diseases.
From the toxicity mentioned above information about calcium plus vitamin d3, it is clear that you require to consult the best doctor before you start taking this supplement. Follow their advice and stop taking this calcium tablet with vitamin d when suggested or you should read the label of the bottle carefully before using it.