Smile!! then the world smiles with you. But, if your smile is making you feel a stab or pain, something should be done.
Those cracks at the corners of your mouth are not just dry skin around mouth. It is angular cheilitis. I am here to let you all know the easiest ways to ease this discomfort. Have a read.
What Is Angular Cheilitis?
Inflammation that occurs at one or both corners of the mouth is named as angular cheilitis. These are a sort of sensitive injuries, which start with a little distress and generally take a genuine form, causing dryness, chapping and eventually, red lesions.
It only sticks to the surface of lips and does not spread. One important thing should also be remembered that if a person grows angular cheilitis issue on one side of their mouth, he/she should try not to touch/ contact both corners of the mouth with the similar finger, lipstick or lip balm tube.
What Are The Angular Cheilitis Causes?
- Bacterial infection
- Fungal infection
- Deficiency of nutrients like Vitamin B12, iron and zinc
- Cold Climates
- Old age
- Dentures that don’t fit well
- Poor oral hygiene.
What Are The Symptoms Of Angular Cheilitis?
- Blisters may found at the corners of the mouth.
- The corners of the mouth become rough and also stiff.
- You may feel discomfort while opening the mouth.
- Redness may appear at the corners of the mouth.
- Accumulation of crumbling skin at the mouth both side corners.
- Chapping and also cracking of the lips may be seen.
- In severe cases, the person faces uneasiness while eating food and also even talking.
- Painful sores appear at both corners of the mouth.
Who Is At High Risk For Angular Cheilitis?
Certain people are at high risk for developing angular cheilitis problem. At-risk groups include people who:
- People who have regular oral thrush
- Person Who have sensitive skin
- One who are frequently using antibiotics or corticosteroids
- Individual who uses oral retinoid medication
- Who continuously smokes
- One who wear braces
- People having inflammatory illnesses, such as Crohn’s disease
- He/She have anaemia, cancer or diabetes.
- An overdose of Vitamins and Minerals known as Hypervitaminosis
- Side effects of any drug
As the severity increases, the mouth’s edges split. This is not easy to heal.
There is no need for any expensive medications. Simple home remedies can help you deal with this problem.
What Are The Home Remedies For Angular Cheilitis?
Aloe vera contains anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antiseptic properties. It decreases inflammation, pain and keeps skin totally moisturised. Extract the fresh gel from aloe vera plant and apply it to the affected part. Leave it to dry and then clean it off after 30-35 minutes with fresh water. Repeat this three time in a day.
Coconut oil is one of the most efficient and cheap natural home remedies for most of the skin diseases including cracked lip corners. It has antibacterial properties and prevents the spread and growth of the bacteria and fungi. It moisturises the skin and decreases dryness, itching, pain and also irritation.
Apply some amount of coconut oil directly to the affected area number of times in a day then wash your hands after the application.
Castor oil generally does not let the skin around the mouth dry. Just apply castor oil directly to the corners of mouth a few time in a day. Alternatively, you may also consider two drops of tea tree oil and mix it to a half teaspoon of castor oil and apply the oil to the mouth corners with the help of a cotton ball.
Discard the cotton ball. After 30-40 minutes clean it off with cool water. Repeat this two times in a day.
This not only moisturizes the overall skin but also improves the healing. Apply unsweetened yoghurt to the affected part. Leave it dry overnight and then clean it off in the morning. Repeat this for a week to 10 days. Also, include unsweetened yoghurt in your diet.
Honey is well known as a great moisturiser that is antibacterial and possesses healing properties. It effectively demolishes the pathogens that cause infection. Also, it gives relief from pain and irritation. Apply honey directly to the affected part many times in a day for 7-10 days.
Alternatively, combine a half teaspoon of honey and one-fourth teaspoon of olive oil and apply it to the corner of the mouth. After 20-30 minutes clean it off with water. Repeat this two time in a day.
Garlic contains few enzymes that fight against virus, bacteria and fungi that irritates the skin. Also, it is anti-inflammatory and decreases the pain and as well as swelling. Crush a garlic clove and add a teaspoon of raw honey to it. Add half teaspoon coconut oil and apply the mixture to the affected area.
After 10-15 minutes clean it off with warm water. Repeat this three times in a day. Also, add garlic to your cooking to boost your body immunity and fight infection.
Besides, the above natural home remedies include food rich in vitamin B, zinc and iron in your daily diet.
- Food sources rich in zinc are eggs, oyster, pulses, lobster, crabs, baked beans, legumes, chickpeas and whole grains.
- Foods rich in iron are liver, beef, green leafy be vegetables. Pomegranate, dates etc.
- Foods that are rich in vitamin B are fruits, vegetables, leafy vegetables and whole grains.
- Wipe your face with the paper napkin instead of a towel.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Exclude chemical additives from your diet.
- Use a separate washcloth to wipe both sides of the mouth.
- Don’t touch your lips.
- Don’t use cosmetic products on the lips as they may worsen the situation.
- Avoid picking the wounds.
- Avoid spicy, caffeinated, and sugary foods as they dehydrate the body and slow down the healing process.
Measures To Prevent Angular Cheilitis
- Avoid licking your lips continuously.
- Boost up your overall immune system.
- Take few supplements that contain Vitamin B, folate and also iron in order to overcome their deficiencies in your body.
- Visit near dentist to get your dentures readjusted.
- Drink plenty of water.
When To See A Doctor?
If you have any of these above signs and symptoms or have any questions, please consult your regular doctor. Each individual’s condition is different, so please visit your doctor to select the most suitable choice.
There, you have determined some information about angular cheilitis issue. Although causing a lot of embarrassment for patients, this disease is not life-threatening. Complete angular cheilitis treatment can be given right at home.
Above, we have introduced few home remedies for angular cheilitis. They have been used by a number of people. It is time to find out what the effective home remedies for angular cheilitis infection are.
Do not hesitate to drizzle your words below this post in comment box. We will give you the best answer as soon as possible we could.