Since olden days, the tongue is considered as an essential organ for estimating the overall health of a person.
In fact, it reflects the state of your whole digestive system. You need to stick out your tongue in front of a mirror before doing a various battery of test advised by your doctor.
Examination of the tongue is considered to be a clinical significance by all medical professionals.
Often you may observe different types of coating on the tongue. Some are just normal and harmless while others may indicate that something is wrong somewhere in your body.
The tongue, which is an essential body organ, aids you to talk, swallow and to taste food. The pink colored tongue is contemplated as healthy.
However, at times, white patches on tongue or spots may appear by leading to discoloration which is also called the white tongue.
So want to get knowledge on how to get rid of the white tongue? This below information will provide you with a perfect answer to this critical question.
What Are White Tongue Causes?
The tongue becomes white when debris, dead cells, and bacteria are stuck between inflamed papillae.
This inflammation occurs because of dry mouth, dehydration, excess use of alcohol, smoking, and illness. Other causes include:
- Side effects of antibiotics and certain medicines.
- Oral thrush
- Bad oral hygiene.
- Environmental irritants.
- Consuming spicy food like pepper
- Illness or infection
- Tongue inflammation.
What Are The Top Home Remedies for White Tongue?
Now, let’s see how to get rid of white spots on tongue.
The condition of the white coated tongue is temporary and not that dangerous.
However, if the issue persists for an extended period, it is better to see a doctor.
Also, there are different natural remedies available which you can use to eradicate white patches on tongue. Few of the effective natural home remedies for white coated tongue are given below.
There are many natural home remedies that will help to remove the white coating on tongue and keep your mouth healthy.
1) Aloe Vera Juice To Get Rid Of White Tongue Problem Naturally
The relieving properties and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera juice can aid to treat a lot of problems.
Aloe vera juice is an antimicrobial that kills bacteria that causes bad breath and also white tongue as well.
Procedure: How to utilise Aloe Vera Juice
- Consider 1 tbsp of aloe vera juice and keep it in your mouth.
- Swish aloe vera juice in your mouth and then spit it out.
- Then drink one tablespoon of aloe vera juice.
- Replicate this home remedy few times a day for two weeks for useful results.
2) Salt To Treat White Coated Tongue Fast
Salt is one of the best natural home treatments to clean the white tongue. Salt aids to eliminate dead cells and debris due to its coarse nature that acts as a natural tongue scraper.
Salt also consists of antiseptic properties that aids to kill bacteria that cause bad odor.
Procedure: How to utilize Salt
- Consider some salt and sprinkle it on your white tongue.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub it gently for 1-2 minutes, then, rinse your mouth with warm water thoroughly, repeat this method two times daily to get better results in a week.
- Alternatively, take one teaspoon of salt and combine it in a glass of warm water. Gargle with salt water and then spit it out.
3) Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Get Rid Of White Tongue Issue Fastly
Hydrogen peroxide is very famous to kill bacteria, which is attached to the tongue due to its strong antibacterial property. Hydrogen peroxide also makes your teeth white and also treats a white coated tongue. It is suggested to use three percent of hydrogen peroxide solution.
Procedure: How to utilize Hydrogen Peroxide
- Consider two parts of water and 1 part of hydrogen peroxide. Mix them properly.
- Use a soft toothbrush and dip it in this combination.
- Smoothly rub this mixture on your tongue.
- Spit this fantastic solution and wash your mouth with water thoroughly.
- Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times regularly for useful results.
4) Probiotics To Treat White Coated Tongue Problem Fast
Probiotics are one of the best natural home remedies for white tongue which is caused by the growth of bacteria and candida fungus.
Probiotics consist of an antibacterial composite that aids to control the enhancement of fungi and bacteria in the mouth.
Procedure: How to utilize probiotics
- Add the powder of one probiotic capsule in a little amount of water. Brush your teeth daily and use this similar solution for mouthwash, swallowing and swishing. Then drink some water.
- Repeat this natural home remedy once in a week to get rid of bad breath.
- You can also include yogurt with live cultures in your meal.
- Alternatively, consider taking probiotic supplements three times a day.
5) Oil Pulling To Rinse White Coated Tongue At Your Home
Oil pulling is one of the excellent ways to treat white coat on your tongue. Oil pulling aids to eliminate the yeast from oral thrush and remove the toxins from the human body.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling:
- Put one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth, before brushing your teeth.
- Swish it between your teeth and under the tongue.
- Do this home remedy for 15 -20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and use warm water to clean your mouth.
- Replicate this home remedy daily for overall oral health.
- Alternatively, by using coconut oil, you can utilize sesame oil.
- Don’t consume or gargle the oil.
6) Baking Soda To Get Rid of White Tongue Fastly And Naturally
Baking soda is one of the best natural home remedies for the white tongue. It aids to separate the white layer from the tongue. Baking soda aids to get rid of residue sticking to the tongue due to its exfoliating nature. It also maintains the pH levels by neutralizing acids.
Procedure: How to utilize baking soda
- Take little baking soda and lemon juice and mix it well to form a paste.
- Use a toothbrush to brush your tongue with this paste.
- Rinse your mouth with this water.
- Do this method daily until you get the best results.
- Another method, you can also combine half tsp of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Use this amazing solution for mouth rinse twice daily to treat bad breath and white tongue.
7) Turmeric To Treat White Coated Tongue Naturally At Home
Turmeric is the effective natural home remedy for the whiteness of your tongue. It avoids the growth of bacteria on the tongue due to its potent antibacterial properties.
Procedure: How to utilize Turmeric
- Take a half tsp of turmeric powder and lemon juice. Combine both the ingredients to make a paste. Rub this turmeric paste on your white coated tongue for 5 minutes. Then, use warm water to clean your mouth properly.
- Do this home remedy daily for a few days.
- You can also consider half tsp of turmeric powder to a small glass of water. Gargle with this turmeric solution two times a day for a good tongue.
8) Neem To Avoid White Coated Tongue
Indian lilac also is known as Neem, that is effectively used to treat a white coated tongue. Neem can also clear bacteria, fungus, and yeast from your mouth due to antibacterial and antifungal properties present in it. It also acts as a blood purifier that will aid to eliminates toxins from the body.
Procedure: How to utilize Neem
- Take one tbsp of dried neem to a cup of water.
- Now boil the water, until it decreased to half.
- Let it cool and then rinse with this neem water.
- Rinse your mouth with this warm water.
- Repeat this home remedy two times a day until you get the effective results.
Basic tips to follow for treating as well as preventing your white tongue problem
Now that you have a fair idea of the different natural home remedies you can use to fight white tongue, take a look at some general tips that will help you in avoiding the problem from recurring in the future.
1. Maintain proper oral hygiene Regularly: Oral hygiene is a must, considering the wide range of foods and also drinks that go into our system on a regular basis these days.
2. In addition to brushing and flossing your teeth twice in a day, make it a point to brush your tongue also at least twice a day as well. Use either a toothbrush with a smooth cleaner or a tongue cleaner for the same purpose.
3.Brush after your meals: Brushing your teeth and also your tongue after every meal can avoid food buildup in the mouth, thus preventing the white trash from forming on the tongue.
4. Use antiseptic mouthwashes: If you are inclined to bacterial infections, consider utilizing an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth as well as after meals.
This will avoid the yeast on tongue from setting in, thus avoiding oral thrush on tongue and the resultant white tongue.
5. Prevent sugary foods and dairy products: These products can stain the teeth as well as coat the tongue. So stay far from them until the white trash in your tongue is completely removed.
6. Prevent smoking and also drinking alcohol: Smoking and drinking can rouse the bumps in the tongue and guide to bacterial buildup in the same.
So try to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for some time until the infection in your mouth is treated completely. This will prevent your tongue from turning white as well.
7. Eat fiber-rich foods: Crunchy, fiber-rich foods aid cleanse your gut as well as the white trash on your tongue.
Add few fruits and vegetables like apples, strawberries, carrots, and guava to your daily diet for the equivalent purpose.
8. Keep hydrating yourself: White tongue dehydration generally causes white spots to appear on the tongue at times. So make sure to keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water every day, especially during the months of summer.
9. Call the doctor: If the white residue on the tongue is accompanied by the pain, severe inflammation and fever, call the doctor instantly.
You may also need to consult the doctor if the white tongue persists for more than 2 weeks.
When To Consult A Doctor?
Though the white tongue is not a severe issue it might cause a few problems if not treated well.
So the white tongue symptoms that you should think to consult a doctor are the pain, fever, dehydration and if the white tongue lasts for more than three weeks. Other signs and symptoms are:
Geographic Tongue – Geographic tongue is one of the conditions when you have smooth lesions on your tongue. If you have a geographic tongue than you require to consult your doctor for sure.
When you face geographic tongue then you may face irritation towards strong taste like salty, spicy and also acidic.
Oral Thrush – Oral thrush is one of the conditions that people mistake with white tongue and thus spoil the condition by opting the wrong methods.
How To Get Rid Of White Tongue?
This can be treated with a few antibiotics and prescribed medicines. You can also try yogurt as well.
Here are the signs and symptoms of your oral thrush are burning sensations on the tongue and also a pain in the skin cracked on the side of your tongue.
Leukoplakia – It is the state when white patches seen on a tongue that is the outcome of overproduction of proteins and also cells.
Though it is not so severe, still it wants to be treated on time. You should consult a doctor to make sure that the condition not cancerous.
Rinse your tongue daily to get rid of a white coated tongue.
Follow these things like brush your tongue gently, scrape the tongue, clean with water completely, use strong antiseptic solution for gargle and scrub your tongue to get rid of the issue.
Follow these easy home remedies and tips to get rid of a white coated tongue and have proper oral health.
Let me also know how you removed this white coated tongue by sharing your experience.