Freckles are one such woe of your skin that most of the people don’t want to deal with. So, what exactly are these freckles?
Freckles are tiny brown spots on the skin that appears most commonly on the facial skin, arms and shoulders and other sun exposed areas of the skin. People with fair skin (more sensitive) to sun damage are more prone to these freckles.
Symptoms of Freckles
There may be change in the skin color and shape.
- Diarrhea is another common symptom which is accompanied with freckles.
- There may be crampy abdominal pain and/or weight loss.
- The skin cancer is also one of the symptoms of freckles.
- Moles are often produced at the affected area of skin.
- There may be blood or mucus in the stool.
Causes of Freckle
- Exposure of skin to sun.
- The basic cause of freckles are some special cells in the skin that produce a pigment called melanin.
- Freckles are influenced by genetic factor also.
- Hormone Abnormalities can cause freckles since estrogen over-stimulates pigment-producing cells, causing them to generate excess color when exposed to sunlight.
- Fair skin is another main cause for freckle. There is less overall melanin in fair skin to absorb UV light, therefore pigment cells produce melanin at an increased rate.
Here are few home remedies to treat freckles
Lemon juice is one of the best ways to lighten freckles and make them less visible. It contains citric acid and natural bleaching agents that can fade the brown spots as well as other blemishes.
- Slice a fresh lemon fruit in half and squeeze out its juice in a small bowl.
- Apply the juice on the skin. Massage the area gently to improve circulation. If lemon juice is too strong for you, mix it with a little amount of water.
- Let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process two times a day until you are satisfied with the results.
You can also make a lemon scrub by mixing its juice with sugar. Scrub it gently on the skin for a few minutes and rinse it off. Repeat this treatment once a week.
One of the excellent home remedies to get rid of freckles is buttermilk. It contains natural bleaching properties and lactic acid that can make the skin soft and smooth.
- Apply plain buttermilk to the skin using a cotton ball. Let it sit for fifteen minutes before washing it off with water. Repeat this process twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can also combine one tablespoon of buttermilk with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the mixture to the skin and leave it on for fifteen minutes before rinsing the area. Repeat this treatment once a day.
The papain enzyme in papaya is a natural skin exfoliant, which can effectively get rid of dead skin cells and skin impurities. It also prevents over-production of melanin to inhibit the appearance of brown spots or freckles. Green papaya contains more papain enzymes than orange papaya, making it one of the best home remedies to get rid of freckles.
- Mash a green papaya and apply it directly on the skin.
- Let it sit for at least fifteen minutes before washing it off with water.
- Repeat this treatment once a day to lighten the freckled area.
- You can also mix mashed papaya and one teaspoon of lemon juice to clear your skin.
Cucumber contains phenylalanine that inhibits the storage of melanin in the skin. It also contains vitamin E, phytosterols, omega-3 linoleic acid, and oleic acid that can help in revitalizing the skin.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into small pieces and put them in a juicer or blender.
- Apply the juice or pulp directly on the skin.
- Leave it on for five minutes and wash it off with water.
- Repeat this treatment every day for best results.
- You can also use cucumber seed oil to massage the freckled area.
One of the best home remedies to get rid of freckles is honey. It contains enzymes that can reduce skin pigmentation while allowing the skin to restore its natural glow. The nutrients and antioxidants found in raw honey can moisturize and nourish the skin perfectly.
- Mix raw honey and water to make a paste. Warm it up slightly in the microwave and apply it on the freckled areas. Leave it on until the paste becomes dry. Wash with warm water. You can repeat this treatment daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Alternatively, you can mix honey with yogurt for additional benefits. Apply the mixture to the skin and leave it on for half an hour. Rinse it off with water. Repeat this process once a day.
By following all these above home remedies you can get rid of freckles. If your problem is severe you should consult your doctor immediately.