Cold feet is a very common problem amongst people with very poor blood circulation. Your feet get cold when they do not get adequate amount of oxygen supply due to poor blood flow.
Though this condition can be a result of several other health problems such as chronic fatigue syndrome, anaemia, restless leg syndrome, nerve damage, peripheral vascular disease, hypothyroidism, hypothermia and Raynaud’s disease. Nutritional deficiencies, over consumption of alcohol and excessive smoking may also be the reasons for the same.
- Cold temperatures
- Blood circulation issues
- Diabetes mellitus
- Nerve disorders
- High stress or anxiety
The reasons may differ from person to person. It is better to get it by few effective home remedies to treat cold feet naturally.
Here are the home remedies for cold feet.
Warm oil massage
In order to restore the warmth to your feet naturally the best way is to massage your feet warm oil. Regular oil massage improves the blood circulation to the feet and improve the overall health of your feet as well.
- Warm some oil of your choice in a microwave or on the stove top.
- Apply this warm oil on your feet.
- Massage your feet by applying firm pressure with your palm and fingers for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat the same process on the other foot.
- Once you are done with the massage, wear cotton socks.
- Make sure to massage your feet every day before going to bed.
It is important to keep the blood flowing to your feet. Foot exercise are really important if you want to strengthen the blood vessels.
- Stand up on your toes for 1 minute and then slowly go down on you heels. Repeat this exercise for at least 5 minutes.
- Sit down on the floor, spread out your legs and then try to rotate your feet clockwise and anti-clockwise at your ankle, 15-20 times in each direction.
- Walk on your toes and then alternatively on your heels for 10 minutes.
- Use your toes to pick some object or clothe several times from the floor.
Another way of treating your cold feet is by soaking your feet in Epsom salt water soak. The Epsom salt is rich in magnesium and magnesium deficiency is one of the major causes of cold feet.
- Dissolve ½ cup Epsom salt in a bucket filled with warm water.
- Soak your feet in this salt water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a week.
Ginger is generally warm in nature and thus promotes healthy blood circulation in the body. It contain compounds like gingerols and zingerone that are responsible for the warm nature of this spice. It also reduces the risk of blood clots in the human body.
- Boil 1 tbsp. of ginger in 2 cups of water for a few minutes. Strain this water add 1 tsp. raw honey to it and drink this concoction twice a day.
- Boil a pot of water with ginger slices in it. Let the water come down to a normal temperature and then soak your feet in this water for 15 minutes.
- You can also take ginger supplements. But make sure to consult your doctor before doing so.
Green is an amazing natural remedy for cold feet. Regular consumption of green tea improves the operative nature of the blood vessels which carry blood along the body, your feet included.
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea on a daily basis. You can either use green tea bag or loose tea leaves to make the tea. You can also add honey or ginger to your green tea. You can also use flavoured ginger green tea as well.
- You can also brew 3-4 tea bags in a bucket of hot water for 5 minutes. Discard the tea bags and then soak your feet in this water for 10 minutes. Repeat this remedy every other day to see results.
Consume magnesium rich food
Magnesium is also one of the important nutrient that is required for better absorption of vitamin D and healthy blood circulation. When your body has a deficiency of this nutrient you are most likely to suffer from cold feet.
Your body cannot store magnesium and it is important for you eat magnesium rich food in order to fulfil the needs of the body. An adult women needs up to 300 mg magnesium on a daily basis.
- Some of the best magnesium rich foods are spinach, mustard greens, turnips, broccoli, seaweed, green beans, almonds, baked potatoes, avocados, whole grains, , sesame seeds, cucumbers and pumpkin seeds. You can also take magnesium supplements.
By these above home remedies you can get rid of cold feet easily. If your problem is severe consult your doctor for treatment.