Last updated on January 30th, 2018 at 06:52 pm
Edema refers to fluid buildup in the tissues of the human body. This leads to swelling of your legs, hands, feet and also other areas of the body. Fluid accumulates in the tissues when there is leakage from the capillaries due to the damage, excess pressure or reduced levels of albumin. Edema also generally occur in pregnant women. Few of the conditions are kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, liver cirrhosis and swelling of the lymph nodes may also be responsible for edema.
Here are few causes and symptoms
Symptoms of Edema
The common signs and symptoms of edema are
- Swelling of the tissues beneath the skin
- Enlargement of the abdomen
- Stretching of the skin
- Dimpling of the skin after pressing the area for a few seconds.
Causes of Edema
- Kidney disease
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Past surgeries involving removal of lymph nodes.
Here are few home remedies to treat edema
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the well-known natural home remedies to reduce edema symptoms. Being high in potassium, it helps replenish potassium levels in the human body and reverse fluid retention. Moreover, its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce swelling and pain.
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Drink it two times daily.
- Another option is, soak a plain white towel in a mixture of equal amounts of warm water and apple cider vinegar. Wrap the white towel on the affected area in the body for several minutes. Do this a few times daily.
Tea Tree Oil
You can use tea tree oil to treat general edema or inflammation that is caused by insect bites or stings. Its anti-inflammatory and also analgesic properties can reduce swelling and pain from edema.
- To treat edema due to insect bites or stings, put a few drops of tea tree oil on a cotton swab and apply it on the affected area. Wait for a 5-10 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat as needed.
- For mild edema cases, add a few drops of tea tree oil to any carrier oil and use it to massage the affected area using outward strokes. Follow this natural home remedy 2 times daily for a few days until the swelling and pain are treated.
Regular massage is another effective natural way to reduce swelling and pain caused by edema. Massaging with gentle strokes creates pressure on the affected skin and also muscle areas.
- Warm some mustard, olive or coconut oil.
- Massage the affected area in the body gently with the warm oil.
- Do this several times a day.
Note: If your edema is due to pregnancy, have your massage done by a therapist specializing in prenatal massage.
Generally flax seeds are an effective natural remedy for edema. The few anti-inflammatory properties of flax seeds can helpful to reduce swelling. Moreover, flaxseeds aid in detoxification, which means they help get rid of harmful toxins.
- Add ½ teaspoon of ground flaxseeds to a glass of warm purified water. Drink it 2 times in a day.
- Another option is to massage the affected area with flaxseed oil a few times daily.
Exercise and Physical Activities
Those who lead a sedentary lifestyle are more prone to edema. Exercise and other physical activities generally can help prevent it as well as reduce the intensity of symptoms when edema occurs.
- Move your muscles of the affected body part as much as possible. This will help dissipate the fluid out of the tissues.
- Enjoy jogging or brisk walking for 30 minutes a day.
- Do some yoga daily to help improve your circulation and prevent edema.
- Go to swimming everyday if possible or several times a week to reduce few edema symptoms.
- You can also consult your doctor about exercises you can do that may reduce swelling.
Reduce Salt Intake
High salt intake puts you at a higher risk for who suffering with edema. High amounts of sodium or salt generally contribute to water retention in the body tissues.
- Limit your intake of salty foods, such as prepackaged snacks and also few fast food.
- Instead of eating out, cook your food at home. This will help you monitor the amount of salt you are consuming.
- Eat only fresh fruits and also fresh vegetables instead of canned versions, which often contain added salt to preserve color and also freshness.
- Enhance the taste of food with herbs instead of salt.
By following the above natural home remedies you can treat yourself naturally from edema. If the problem is severe you should consult your doctor regularly.