Tips For Sensitive Skin
No one likes to be generalized. It can be frustrating to hear that there are only three basic types of skin: sensitive, oily, or normal. If you do not fit neatly in one of these categories, then undoubtedly, choosing skin care products can really be a daunting task. Women who have sensitive skin are often worried about the irritation caused due to their use of strong cosmetics or products that have plenty of chemicals in them.
If you really have sensitive skin, you are more susceptible to rosacea, acne, contact allergens. Your skin can be easily irritated, and the cause could be creams, lotions, soaps, or the environment. So you ought to be extra careful while treating it!
Needless to say, this makes it very difficult for you to take care of your skin. So, instead, you may resort to natural products. Although home remedies are safer than other chemical-based cosmetics, using harsh ones can lead your skin to potential irritation. Let us explore a list of natural tips that are safe to use on a sensitive skin. However, first, you need to know if you really have sensitive skin!
Usually, sensitive skin is more permeable than normal skin. This has a couple of disadvantages:
- Your body’s important natural moisture escapes faster.
- The harsh ingredients can penetrate into your skin more readily.
- Extremely dry skin which does not protect the nerve endings.
- Skin itching and redness after using certain products.
- Regular skin reactions leading to rashes, breakouts, etc.
Tips to keep your sensitive skin healthy
Test First, Apply Second
When you are using a new product, always do a test run on a small, inconspicuous patch of skin such as behind your ear before applying it. Then at least wait for 24 hours for signs of redness, irritation, or other skin freak-outs. However, if your skin is hypersensitive, repeat this test run on a patch next to your eye. You are safe to apply with abandon.
Sunscreen is crucial for every skin type. But, sensitive skin can be delicate when it comes to sun and heat. It is imperative for someone with sensitive skin to apply sunscreen on an everyday basis.
Don’t over-cleanse, Be gentle
Over-cleansing or over-exfoliating sensitive skin can cause irritation. You certainly don’t want to stick to lukewarm water, rather than waiting for the water to be steaming hot even before stepping in the shower. As discussed already, heat can be another aggravating factor. Don’t forget, to keep your skin clean and don’t go overboard.
Go With Less
Sensitive skin is easily overwhelmed so it is best to keep your everyday skin care products simple and natural: All you really need is a moisturizer, gentle cleanser, and sunscreen.
Keep yourself hydrated
Hydration is the key. Wash your face at least twice a day in order to remove surface dirt as well as unclog pores. However, no more regularly, because over washing can be too harsh for your sensitive skin. Finally, pat skin dry (remember, don’t rub!) and then apply a moisturizer within 3 minutes to lock in the hydration.
Choose Cosmetics Carefully
Just because your skin is delicate, it doesn’t mean you have to go sans makeup. You can follow the below-mentioned tips
- Use a mineral powder: As they are free from preservatives and artificial dyes.
- Use eyeliner in pencil form, not liquid, as the liquid form often contains latex and it may cause a reaction.
- Avoid waterproof mascara because harsh cleansers are required to remove it.
- Toss old cosmetics, that can go bad or become contaminated over time. Additionally, don’t forget to clean your brushes regularly.
Remedies you can consider
Aloe vera gel
Without a doubt,Aloe Vera is one of the best natural ingredients for sensitive skin. It has soothing properties along with vitamin E that can help heal skin itchiness and redness.
How to use?
- Cut open the aloe vera leaf and squeeze out the gel
- Now apply the gel on your affected area or simply on your face and neck.
- Let it dry overnight and wash off with plain water next morning.
- Possibly, you may experience mild itchiness after applying the gel and this is normal.
Green tea is a complete pack of antioxidants that help keep your skin youthful and rejuvenated. As it has negligible caffeine, it doesn’t dry out the skin and helps soothe it. Also, you can even store green tea bags in the fridge and use them once they are completely cooled.
How to use?
- Boil water and add green tea leaves.
- Strain out the liquid, allow it cool.
- Now add two drops of honey to it and then dab it on your face with a cotton ball.
- Allow it stay for at least 10 minutes and then wash off with water.
Turmeric powder has antiseptic properties that prevent common skin problems like rashes, breakouts, etc. The presence of a compound called curcumin helps you give a beautiful and inner glowing skin.
How to use?
- Take 1 tbsp of turmeric powder and add a few drops of honey and 2 tbsp of raw milk to it.
- Then mix well and spread it on your face and neck.
- Allow it dry and then wash off with plain water.
Sensitive skin can really be frustrating, but if you take your time, then you ought to be able to face the world with calm beautiful skin which showcases your body confidence. Don’t forget to treat your skin with respect. After all, it is the largest organ of the human body. If you have sensitive skin, take comfort in knowing that you are not alone!