Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway on the palm side of your wrist which is made up of bones and ligaments. The median nerve, which controls sensation and movement in the thumb and first three fingers, runs through this passageway along with tendons to the fingers and thumb.
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome
- Numbness to hand, tingling, burning, and pain, primarily in the thumb and index, middle, and ring fingers.
- Occasional shock, like sensations that radiate to the thumb and index, middle, and ring fingers.
- Occurs pain or tingling which may travel up the forearm toward the shoulder.
- Weakness and clumsiness in the hand will make it difficult to perform fine movements such as buttoning your clothes
- Dropping things, due to weakness, numbness, or a loss of proprioception.
Cause of carpal tunnel syndrome
Most cases of carpal tunnel syndrome are caused by a combination of factors. Studies show that women and older people are more likely to develop the condition.
Other risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Repetitive hand use
- Hand and wrist position
- Health conditions
Home remedies to treat carpal tunnel
Epsom Salt Soak
- Take 1 cup of Epsom Salt. Tie it up in a soft muslin cloth.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water. Tie the bundled Epsom Salt to the inlet faucet.
- Soak in the Epsom salt bathwater for 30 minutes. Repeat the process daily for a week or so.
Epsom salt, which is a natural mineral, is found abundantly in the natural springs located in Epsom (which gives it the name) in Surrey County, the UK. It has loads of magnesium sulfate, which has a soothing effect on the pain caused by carpal tunnel syndrome and helps reduce the inflammation. Epsom salt helps in recovering from the pain faster as it hastens the healing process by acting on the muscles and nerves. Epsom salt is one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome.
While Epsom salt does not cause any adverse side effects, it may cause a burning sensation on sensitive skin.
- Take a handful of ice cubes from your fridge.
- Bundle the ice cubes in a polythene carry bag.
- Place the ice pack against on the painful areas for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process as many times as required until the pain subsides.
- Continue the process for 2 to 3 days
A cold compress can work wonders and relieve the pain caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. The ice works on the swelling as an anti-inflammatory agent and helps bring down the inflammation. A cold compress also causes the skin and underlying muscles to turn numb so that the pain is not felt, moreover it works on the underlying tissue to remove the pain. It also prevents the stiffening of the muscles affected by carpal tunnel syndrome. A cold compress is one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome.
A cold compress does not cause any adverse side effects. However, avoid applying ice cubes directly on the skin as it is very dangerous and may cause frostbite and damage the skin.
Lavender Essential Oil
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of undiluted lavender essential oil.
- Take a teaspoon of virgin olive oil. Apply the mixture on the painful areas.
- Massage gently for a few minutes. Allow it to steep for an hour or so. Continue the process daily for a week or so.
Lavender belongs to the mint family of herbs, and its oil has been used as an effective herbal remedy for relieving pain for ages. The oil is used extensively for preparing balms, salves, perfumes and other cosmetic preparations. Lavender essential oil is packed with over 47 chemical compounds including dimethyl vinyl hexenylibutryate, which is the main constituent, as well as octatriene, Eucalyptol, Camphor, etc which act on the inflammation and pain caused by the carpal tunnel syndrome to offer relief. Lavender essential oil is one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome.
While lavender essential oil does not cause any adverse side effects, it should not be applied without being diluted as it can cause irritation and a burning sensation on sensitive skin.
Garlic & Honey Poultice
- Take 2 or 3 pods of fresh garlic and peel the skin. Wash the peeled garlic and crush to a soft paste.
- Take 2 teaspoons of pure, raw honey.
- Mix honey and garlic to make a thick paste. Apply on the painful areas and allow it to sit for a few hours. Repeat process 2 to 3 times daily for a week
Honey is a natural medicinal product that has been used to treat various skin afflictions and is a great natural antioxidant and an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. It helps contain the inflammation caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Garlic is a herb that has some amazing curative properties. It contains volatile oils like allin; allinase and allicin present in garlic along with sulphur compounds make it a wonder herb that is used to treat various aches and pains. Generally garlic and honey together make one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome.
While honey and garlic do not cause any adverse side effects when applied topically as a poultice, garlic may cause skin irritation when applied on the sensitive skin.
These home remedies are probably the most natural and easiest remedies which can be done at any time and these are safest and best remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome which can give good relief from the pain. CTS often affect your dexterity, which is the ability to use your hands effectively to carry out certain tasks. You may often find yourself dropping objects, or have difficulty typing or fastening buttons. In such a case, you should consult your doctor for further treatment.