Natural laxatives to treat constipation
Constipation is a very common and general digestive disorder which affects people of all ages. Constipation causes difficulty in passing stool and may even lead a person to strain too much to empty the excessively hard stools.
Symptoms of constipation are
- Bloated abdomen
- Abnormally small or large stools
- Loss of appetite
- Bad breath
- Mouth ulcer.
Some of the main causes of constipation are
- Poor diet
- Insufficient water intake
- Irregular defecation habit
- Lack of physical activity
- Weakness of abdominal muscles
- Intake of certain medications
- Laxative abuse.
This constipation problem can be very frustrating aside from causing discomfort. There are many home remedies to enhance the functionality of your digestive system and treat constipation. These remedies are very easy to follow and also very powerful.
Here are the top home remedies for constipation.
Lemons, or more specifically the juice from lemons, can treat constipation as it stimulates the whole digestive system and gets things moving. This is one of the simplest and most effective natural treatments that you can try at home.
- Extract the juice of half a lemon and add it to a glass of warm water. You can also add a pinch of rock salt or one-half teaspoon of table salt to it and a little honey.
- Drink the lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also drink a glass of this solution in the evening too.
- Follow this remedy daily and expect results within a few days.
Fennel seeds are useful in treating issues like indigestion, bloating, constipation and also irritable bowel syndrome as they encourage smooth muscle movement in the digestive tract.
- Take one cup of fennel seeds and dry roast them.
- Then, grind them and stir the mixture.
- Store this tasty and digestive powder in a glass jar.
- Take half a teaspoon of this powder daily with warm water.
Bananas are a high in starch, so as a result if you suffer from constipation problem it is an essential that you always ensure that bananas are nice and ripe when you eat them. If a banana is unripe it will have green skin with high levels of starch. This high starch content will be a trigger for constipation.
- You can eat bananas directly.
- Take one banana and mix it with curd and you can have that salad.
Figs are very high in fiber and act as one of the natural laxatives. Those suffering from chronic constipation should include figs in their daily diet. For the treatment of constipation, both fresh and dried figs are used. When fresh figs are available, eat them with their skin on. The skin contains most of the fiber and also calcium.
- Take two to three almonds and dried figs.
- Soak them in water for a few hours.
- Peel the almonds and grind the ingredients.
- Take this paste with one tablespoon of honey at night.
Being a stimulant laxative, castor oil stimulates the small and also large intestines and improves the bowel movement. You can simply swallow one to two teaspoons of castor oil on an empty stomach. To improve the taste, you can take it with a glass of fruit juice.
Within a few hours, you will notice a huge improvement in your body condition.
Honey is highly beneficial in relieving constipation problem as it acts as a mild laxative. You can have it daily to treat constipation and also for prevention.
- Consume two teaspoons of honey three to four times a day.
- You can also mix one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
Flax seed has many medicinal properties along with tons of fiber and also omega-3 fatty acids. Also, flaxseed has a laxative property, which can be very useful in curing mild to very serious cases of constipation.
- Mix one tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of lukewarm water and allow it to rest for two to three hours. Drink the water daily before going to bed. In the morning times, your bowel movement will be much better.
- Alternatively, you can simply eat two to three tablespoons of ground flax seed with a glass of water.
A diet rich in the foods above and an overall healthy lifestyle is the best way to prevent long-term gastrointestinal duress and constipation, from being an issue, but sometimes you just need fast relief. If you need overnight relief you can just consult your doctor for better treatment.