Metabolic diseases and Obesity have come to its worst and became one of the world’s biggest health issues. In fact, at least 2.8 million adults die due to obesity each year. Metabolic syndrome affects more than millions people worldwide, and it can lead to a variety of health defects. Wondering why this statistics is for? Well, here is the answer. The combat! Nowadays, many diets have emerged and few of them are actually backed by research. On the other hand, the benefits of the ketogenic diet, are well-supported by science. So, here we are gonna have a look how keto diet can help you to lose weight and fight these diseases.
First Of All, What Is A Keto Diet?
A ketogenic diet is high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs. Because of the reduced carbs and increased fat, your body will enter into a metabolic state called as ketosis. When the body starts turning fats into ketones, which are molecules then they can supply energy for your brain. After a few days or weeks on this diet, your body and brain become quite efficient at burning fat as well as ketones for fuel instead of the carbs.
The keto diet lowers your insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, is the main reasons for the health benefits of this diet. Staple foods on a keto diet include meat, butter, fish, eggs, cheese, oils, heavy cream, nuts, avocados, seeds as well as low-carb vegetables. In return, nearly all carb sources are eliminated, such as grains, beans, rice, potatoes, milk, sweets, cereals, fruits and some high-carb vegetables.
Mechanism behind the diet
Higher protein intake
Some keto diets lead to protein intake increase, which has plenty of weight loss benefits.
Our body converts protein and fat into carbs for fuel. This process can burn many additional calories each and every day.
When you limit your carb intake it might as well limit your food options. This can reduce calorie intake noticeably – a key for fat loss.
Ketogenic diets help can you feel full. This is supported by the positive changes in hunger hormones, that includes ghrelin and leptin.
Decreased fat storage
Ketogenic diets may reduce lipogenesis, which is the process of converting sugar into fat in our body.
Improved insulin sensitivity
Keto diets also can improve insulin sensitivity drastically, that can improve metabolism and fuel utilization.
Increased fat burning
This diet rapidly increases the amount of fat you burn amid rest, daily activity as well as exercise.
How Can You Follow A Ketogenic Diet?
If you are excited to try a ketogenic diet, then you will have to follow these basic rules:
- Eliminate carbs: Check the food labels, and aim for 30g of carbs or even less per day.
- Eat your veggies: As you know, fat sources are high in calories. So base your each meal on low-carb veggies in order to fill your plate as well as to keep you feel full.
- Stock up on staples: Buy meat, whole eggs, cheese, nuts, avocados, oils, oily fish, and cream. They are now staples in your diet.
- Build a plan: Sometimes, it can be hard to find a low-carb meal for when you’re on the go. So, with any diet, it’s important to have a plan as well as go-to snacks or meals.
- Find what you love: Never miss this! Experiment until you find your ultimate keto diet.
- Track Your progress: Take measurements, photos, and monitor your weight in every 3 to 4 weeks. If your progress stops, then try reducing portion sizes slightly.
- Replace Your minerals: Ketosis also changes your mineral and fluid balance. For this reason, ensure salting your food and you may take magnesium or electrolytes.
- Try supplements: In order to boost your ketogenic process, you can also take the salt supplements, or use coconut oil on a regular basis.
- Be consistent: Remember, there is no shortcut to success. So, it is important to be consistent with any diet.
Please remember that diets can be really a complex subject. Diet is influenced by culture, social influence, religion, family as well as ethics. For some people, it is as simple as drinking soylent and nothing more. And for some, it is like metabolically hacking over their body. It is all about finding out what works for you. When it comes to the keto diet, you will be able to sleep well as well as have good recovery between your strength and feel a constant state of mental focus. So it is nice to know what it’s all about if it jives with anyone.