New bright clothes and notebooks and the discussion about the most loved companions and intense teachers have advanced into the homes in the midst of the exuberance and anxiety of every new school year.
However, for many parents whose kids’ battle with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder – ADHD, a back-to-back class twirl of movement is tinged with another stress.
They are worried about the behavioral challenges will hinder their kid’s capacity to learn and succeed.ADHD has been diagnosed for hundreds of years. The vast majority of doctors consider Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) has no cause.
But still, it is a known fact that the elimination of food additives, as well as refined sugar, produces great improvements. But have you ever thought why haven’t you been told this well-known fact?
Can Medications Cause Side Effects?
ADHD medications come in pill, patch, or liquid forms. Some of the medications when it’s overdosed causes bizarre effects. The medicines like
- Methylphenidate-based medications: Ritalin, Methylin, Concerta, Metadate, Daytrana Patch
- Dextroamphetamine-based medications: Adderall, Vyvanse, and Dexedrine
While the medications can improve concentration, they also can cause some potential and serious side effects that include:
- Sleep problems
- Heart problems
- Loss of appetite
- Mood swings
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
Until now, not many studies have looked at the long-term effects of these drugs. Although some research has been done, that raises red flags.
A recent study found no such significant improvement in the behavior and attention problems in kids between the age of 5 and 14 years who took the medications for their ADHD.
What Are The Causes?
- Executive Dysfunctions
- Brain Structure Differences
- Neurotransmitter Levels
So, What Can A Parent Do?
There are something’s you can do to improve your kid’s attention such as:
Spending Time Outside
- When you spend some quality time outside with your child with ADHD, it may benefit them to understand people’s behavior. There is also strong evidence that spending even 20 to 30 minutes outside can benefit your kid by improving their concentration. Nature and Greenery are the most beneficial.
- Several studies claim that regular exposure to green space and outdoors is safe as well as a natural treatment that can be used to help the kids with ADHD.
- For children with severe cases of ADHD, parental therapy, also called as behavioral therapy can prove to be beneficial. A research states that parental therapy should be the first step in treating ADHD in children.
- Also, it is sometimes called as behavioral modification. This specific approach works on resolving some problematic behaviors and it offers solutions to help prevent them. Parental therapy can also involve setting up the goals and rules for your child. It can be a powerful aid in helping your child.
- Behavioral therapy can also help provide parents with the tools they need to help their kid with ADHD succeed. Equipping parents along with strategies and techniques for how to work around the behavioral problems can help both the child and the parent in the long term.
Avoid Potential Allergens
Diet that restricts possible allergens can help improve behavior in some kids with ADHD. It is best to check with an allergy doctor if at all you suspect that your kid has allergies. But you can also avoid these foods:
- Preservatives such as BHT and BHA which are used to keep the oil in a product from going bad also these can be found in processed food items like potato chips, chewing gum, butter, dry cake mixes, and instant mashed potatoes
- Foods that contain salicylates, including berries, apples, and cider, chili powder, grapes, oranges, plums, peaches, prunes, as well as tomatoes. Salicylates are nothing but the chemicals occurring naturally in plants and they are the major ingredient in plenty of pain medications
- EEG – Electroencephalographic biofeedback is a type of Neurotherapy which measures brain waves. A 2011 research and study suggested that EEG training is one of the promising treatments for ADHD.
- Amid a typical session, a child may play a special video game. They will be given a task to concentrate on, like keep the plane flying. Then the plane will start to dive or the screen and it will go dark if the kids are distracted. This game teaches the child new focusing techniques time to time. And eventually, the child will begin to identify as well as correct their symptoms.
What About Supplements For ADHD?
Parents can also adopt treatment with supplements since it may help improve symptoms of ADHD. These supplements include:
- Vitamin B-6
Also, herbs like passionflower may also help calm a kid’s hyperactivity.
Always, talk to your doctor if you are interested in trying these alternative therapies. Your doctors can order a blood test in order to measure the current levels of a nutrient in your kid before they start taking the supplements.
While these strategies may appear to be common-sensical or self-evident, many parents don’t know how to give their kid a legitimate time-out or have ever considered using a token or a point system to remunerate positive conduct which has been demonstrated on numerous occasions in the research to be extremely effective in changing kid behavior.