Carpal tunnel syndrome – A common nerve disorder, can be related to other medical conditions, like rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, diabetes, and gout. Occupational tasks that include using vibrating hand tools, scrubbing, and assembling small parts can increase your risk of developing the disorder. With plenty of common risk factors, it is no wonder why carpal tunnel syndrome impacts millions of people.
Symptoms of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
The following are the symptoms associated with carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Numbness, inflammation, and tingling in your thumb, middle fingers and index
- Difficulty feeling and handling small objects
- Hand weakness
- Tingling, numbness, or pain, which may move up your arm to your elbow
- Dropping objects
- These symptoms will usually worse at night and they sometimes will be temporarily relieved by just shaking out your hands
For a temporary and quick relief from inflammation as well as numbness caused by CTS, you can embrace a cold compress. Because the cold temperature will help you relieve the pain by numbing the affected area. Also, it reduces the swelling and the inflammation.
- Put a few ice cubes in a sealable plastic bag.
- Then wrap the bag in a towel and apply it on the affected place
- Leave it in the same place for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, repeat for every hour, as needed.
But make sure that you are not applying ice directly on your skin.
This is another effective way to alleviate some symptoms of CTS. Massage your hands and it will activate the pressure points on your hands that in turn will increase your blood flow, improve mobility, relax stiff muscles and reduce your pain.
- Take some warm olive or coconut oil and rub it on your hands and wrists.
- Gently massage your wrists, arms, hands and fingers with for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times every day until you notice any improvement in your condition.
You can also get some assistance from a massage therapist if you want.
This amazing Epsom salt is no less than a natural muscle relaxant as well as anti-inflammatory due to its magnesium content. This salt can effectively relax the tightened muscles in your wrists and hands.
- Mix half to 1 cup of Epsom salt in a tub of warm water.
- Gently soak your wrists then hands in it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a week until feel relieved from your pain and stiffness.
Here comes yet another amazing remedy for CTS. It can help you by suppressing pain, reducing inflammation, and restore the normal functioning in your wrists.
- First, warm some castor oil and apply it on your fingers and hands.
- Start massaging your wrists, fingers, thumbs, and the back of your hands for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wrap your hands in flannel and leave it like that for an hour.
- Repeat this remedy once every day for a week or until you find an improvement.
Acupressure and Acupuncture
This wonderful therapy can help you in the natural treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. It also helps you to restore normal nerve functioning and it provides a great relief from pain.
In fact, this one is a good option to embrace for the people who don’t want to go with surgery. A recent study found that acupuncture therapy is of a great help in reducing the symptoms of CTS.
They also found a few specific acupoints on your wrist as well as elbows that you can press gently for a few seconds just by using your thumb and forefinger in order to promote the flow of energy and to restore range of motion.
Add these in your diet to prevent the pain and Numbness:
- sunflower and sesame seeds
- dark green vegetables, such as broccoli
- lean meat, such as pork and lamb
- oily and white fish, such as salmon and cod
As always, you can prevent any sort of diseases just by following a healthy lifestyle. Follow a balanced diet and exercise daily to prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Follow the above-mentioned remedies in order to reduce your pain temporarily. If you feel any of the above-mentioned symptoms don’t hesitate to visit a neurologist. When you stay healthy, you can never fail to conquer what you want!