Cold weather will play disturbance on your nails and hands. Especial care should be taken throughout the winter season so that you can protect your nails from the problematic issues related to this point of the year. Normally you will see that there are a few common issues like brittle nail syndrome, Raynaud’s development and bacterial infections during cold weather. One effect of the atmospheric condition is attenuated circulation of blood to the toes and fingers, which may end in Raynaud’s development.
It may cause your fingers to stain, alternating from the red color to white color and then to the blue color and is commonly painful. Those who are suffering from this type of condition, are suggested to wear gloves. As a result of wearing the gloves, your fingers stay hot, thus raising the blood flow in your nail space. If your symptoms are becoming more severe, not improving at all, or still intensifying, then you need to visit a medical specialist. According to the above discussion, it is evident that the nails have the following sort of problems in winters.
Brittle Nail Syndrome
How does it happen– At the time of the winter weather conditions, the nails get dehydrated, leading to peeling and ripping nails, that causes the problem at the side of your nails.
Result- The consequence can be severe and it can also cause your nails to break and they can become a lot fragile, and might simply catch on covering. It is going to be even tougher for people having brittle nails when they try to pick small objects up or even a button of a shirt, even the sensation present at the finger tip could get reduced also. This type of condition additionally causes nail enamel to peel and chip, though it is still suggested that the consumer wears polish as a result of it’s going to facilitate defend your nail plate.
- Right nail polish remover- The acetone nail polish remover makes your nail dryer. Thus, you need to use some remover that is non-acetone.
- Harden your nails- There are treatments by which you can harden your nail. The toluene and formaldehyde free removers are available easily. They will harden your nails and make sure that they do not get dry.
- Don’t wash your hands again and again-
- Moisturize your hands after washing them– One thing that is important is that washing the hands, again and again, will make your nails dry. You do not have to wash them, and after washing them, you must be using moisturizers. After cleaning the dishes with detergents and washing agents, you must moisturize your hands, and they make your skin and nails dryer.
- Wear gloves– It is recommended that you must use gloves while cleaning. Use a moisturizer daily and the one with the alpha-hydroxyl acids which moisturizes the nails too. Do not cut your nails brutally under any circumstances and the dry nail gets weakened due to this.
How does it happen– One of the factors affecting your nails in weather is the blood circulation. In the winters your blood circulation is affected, and there are many parts where blood does not reach properly. Fingers are the part where this happens in excess. Your fingers do not get the proper supply of blood, and as a result, they get discolored. The color change from red color to white and then finally blue. This is normally painful, and it really hurts. This is called Raynaud’s phenomenon.
- Keep your hands warm– The solution implies that you must keep your fingers warm in the winters.
- Wear gloves– Use gloves to protect your fingers from the cruel weather. You need to be really careful when you are going out of the house. Cover your hands properly and use good quality gloves. It will keep your fingers warm and comfortable. If the problem is continued, you need to visit a dermatologist expert.
If the condition becomes too serious or you find no improvement, then it’s better to visit a dermatologist.
Fungal infection is caused to your nails due to cold in the winters. It is actually a consequence of the Raynaud’s phenomenon. The nail plane is lifted from your nail bed (onycholysis). If this continues, the nails get vulnerable to the fungal infection. The fungus organism loves to have such open wide surfaces to grow on. Thus, your nails are the number one target.
- Visit a dermatologist- The best treatment of the problem lies in the medicines. You must go to your dermatologist and discuss the situation. It will let you have the medicine that suits your situation the best. There is the best medicine available for you as tropical and oral tablets. You can take them to have your ideal nails.
How does it happen– Nails have a stunted growth during winter. But they become thick during this time. These thicker nails are susceptible to bacterial infections. This is caused by a bacteria named pseudomonas that is referred to as green nails. In this problem, the nail plate color becomes green as pseudomonas grows in the moisture of the air pockets under the nails.
Treatment: Visit a doctor- Only a doctor can treat bacterial nail infection properly. He may remove your infected nail painlessly and ask you to have antibiotics to treat this problem.