How frequently do you eat out? Almost every day? Well, there is nothing to be worried of. It is but obvious keeping in mind today’s lifestyle and the long hours that you need to spend outside home. Hence, in order to curb your hunger you can’t help, but eat out since it is not possible for you to rush home every time and grab something healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. But, you can still carry along some healthy foods with you to satisfy your hunger whenever the need arises. However, it may still not be possible for everyone.
On the other hand you have business meetings at lunch, cocktail parties to attend, the big fat weddings, someone’s birthday, somebody else’s anniversary. With all these social obligations how much can you avoid eating out and till when? So, whether it’s a business meet, or a family eat out, or a romantic dinner date, making healthy choices while eating out could be challenging, but not impossible.
You can surely go healthy while eating out. Bear the below mentioned tips in your mind that will help you make sensible choices and then you are free to enjoy those important occasions and special moments. People should follow healthy and good eating habits.
Tips to be Healthy While Eating Out
1. Look for places that offer healthier options and nutritious diet on the menu so that you don’t have to struggle making better choices. There are lot of restaurants that offer good delicious healthier options and healthy recipes to their customers.
2. When time to place the order, go for grilled, broiled, steamed dishes, skipping fried, creamy, crispy and sauteed red flags.
3. Start your meal with a salad packed with veggies or a broth-based soup, to help control hunger and feel full sooner.
4. Avoid creamy sauces and gravies, instead, marinara and tomato based sauces have more flavour and are healthier choices than creamy sauces and gravies. As a thumb rule, red is usually better than white or yellow.
5. Go for wheat or multigrain bread or roti instead of the maida based white bread or naan.
6. Opt for brown rice instead of regular one which is a healthy eating plan.
7. Don’t hesitate to ask your waiter to make slight changes to the menu. For example, replace your french fries with salads and steamed vegetables which make healthier side dishes, prepare the dish with less or no oil.
8. Ask for the salad dressing and sauces to be served on the side so that you can use them in required quantity, since usually restaurants tend to add twice or thrice more amount than required in order to find consistency.
9. As a beverage choice, ask for flavored water or order fat free or low fat milk, occasionally, a glass of wine, green tea, or other drinks without added sugars. Regular sodas and energy drinks usually contain empty calories.
10. Choose a “small” or “medium” portion. This includes main dishes, side dishes, and beverages.
11. Its better you order an item from the menu than rushing for the “all-you-can-eat” buffet.
12. How To Avoid Overeating?
If main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, try one of these strategies to avoid overeating:
- Order an appetizer sized portion or a side dish instead of an entree.
- Share a main dish with a friend.
- If you can chill the extra food right away, take leftovers home in a “doggy bag.”
- When your food is delivered, set aside or pack half of it immediately to avoid over eating.
- When you have eaten enough, leave the rest. Just because it’s on your plate, it doesn’t mean you have to force yourself finish it.
13. Don’t be in a hurry while eating; try to put your fork down between bites to give your brain some time to recognize if you are full. Enjoy the company of the person or people with you.
14. Order Healthy desserts
Well coming to desserts, if you have come along good so far, try not to mess up here! You can have a delicious send off without holding back on your sweet tooth. Choose a fresh fruit sorbet, sherbet, fruit ice, meringues or plain cake with fruit puree. There are many nutrition tips which people can refer online.
So, if you have that firm determination to follow a healthy lifestyle, then you will definitely find out your ways and means to make healthier choices even while eating out.
If you have any healthy choices to contribute, please share with us in the comments below.